[pmmail-list] The rat's leaving the ship...

Jeffrey Race pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 08 May 2003 21:39:25 +0700

On Thu, 08 May 2003 16:12:43 -0500 (CDT), Maynard Riley wrote:

>Having a feature within the email client to send the raw body content
>to the current browser is a brilliant and most effective solution. Let
>the browser codebase keep up with advances in html rendering; don't
>force that responsibilty into an email client.

Amen.

This has been thrashed out on several lists I frequent, and the
conclusion is always the same: since there is no RFC for html-formatted
e-mail, and since html is not a page description language, there is no
way to build an e-mail client natively rendering html in a message
window.   It is by definition an impossible task.   The only possible
workaround for those enamored of it is to pass the file (and
the risk of trojans, viruses etc) to the browser of choice.

Jeffrey Race