[pmmail-list] The rat's leaving the ship...

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 08 May 2003 23:13:13 -0400

On Thu, 08 May 2003 21:39:25 +0700, Jeffrey Race wrote:

>This has been thrashed out on several lists I frequent, and the
>conclusion is always the same: since there is no RFC for html-formatted
>e-mail, and since html is not a page description language, there is no
>way to build an e-mail client natively rendering html in a message
>window.   It is by definition an impossible task.   The only possible
>workaround for those enamored of it is to pass the file (and
>the risk of trojans, viruses etc) to the browser of choice.

Hi Jeffrey,

There are plenty of email programs that do a more than adequate job of
rendering HTML messages and there's no reason PMMail couldn't as well.
There are also a myriad of ways one can protect against infestation by
trojans, vb scripts and viruses, etc. that are completely independent
of the email client.  I consider PMMail's inability to adequately
render many HTML emails to be a significant shortcoming.

My company regularly makes purchases over the net and we solicit email
advertising from a number of the vendors we deal with.  Most of their
mailings are HTML documents and many of them require that I copy and
view them in a different program in order to read them.  Hardly
seamless.  Hardly efficient.  BSW has been promising improved HTML
rendering in PMMail for 4 years and therefore I believe they have long
recognized its value as well.

I have no desire to be able to send HTML emails but I do want to be
able to read the emails I receive with the least amount of
inconvenience.

Ralph Cohen