[pmmail-list] the dream

Maynard Riley pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 06:53:33 -0500 (CDT)

Tim,

>>I'd also like to get rid of the X-Mailer: header line; it interferes
>>with proper anonymity/privacy.

>That's an interesting statement; I'm not sure I see what you're getting at.

>Anonymity on the Internet (or on e-mail at least) is going to have to come to
>an end, and I believe that is a good thing.  There is no way to stop the spam
>pandemic as long as complete anonymity is available.

I'm confident that the methods discovered to actually stop spam can be
implemented without regard for spurious header lines inserted by email
software clients.

Removing the one header line, as an only action taken for privacy, is
woefully insufficient.

The X-Mailer line serves no positive purpose. Adding it did not reduce
internet abuse; removing it will not cause an increase in internet
abuse. At least for PMMail.

Further, your notion of "complete anonymity" needs to take into account
that I deserve complete anonymity from you, while not from my
connectivity or service provider.

Thanks,

-- Maynard