[pmmail-list] PMMail does not understand MIME format

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:09:35 -0800

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:43:33 -0700, James Moe wrote:

>>But that doesn't seem to be the problem here.  PMMail ordinarily has no
>>trouble at all with multipart/alternative messages, but it is choosing to
>>show this one as if it were not MIME at all.  I've double-checked the MIME
>>syntax, and it appears to be quite valid.
>
>   It is correct. And PMMail is showing *exactly* what is in the text/plain
>section of the message.

It certainly doesn't do so for me.  It shows me the entire body of the
message, starting with "This message is in MIME format" and running right
through the text/plain and text/html sections, as if it were not MIMEd at
all.

>>I don't know what's confusing PMMail about this message.
>
>   PMMail is NOT confused. PMMail is handling this message perfectly.

My PPMMail 2.20.2717 is definitely not handling it perfectly.  I should
see just the text/plain part.  Instead, I see the whole message body.

>   What is confusing is the MESSAGE TEXT (see above) at the beginning of the
>MESSAGE ITSELF proclaiming a defective mail client. It was part of the
>message!
>   It is a bit of insensitive buffoonery on that part of the sender.

That little nugget is extremely common in MIME messages, and it is both
valid and correct: a mail reader that handles MIME will not show it.  And,
ordinarily, PMMail does not show it to me.  However, it does in this case.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.