[pmmail-list] PMMail does not understand MIME format

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:54:11 -0800

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:06:00 +0700, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

>PMMail for Windows would show an attachment (e.g. html-formatted e-mail)
>instead.   However I refuse such messages as they are notorious virus
>vectors.

The text/plain part cannot, of course, infect you.  Even the text/html
part cannot infect you unless you display it in something that implements
javascript.

>MIME is not an e-mail format; it is an attachment format.

I know you're on a campaign to rid the world of HTML e-mail, but this
statement is a load of crap.  MIME stands for Multipurpose Internet Mail
Extensions.  It _IS_ an e-mail format.  As one of its side effects, it
just happens to enable attachments in a well-defined way.

Base64 is an attachment format.  MIME is an e-mail format.

>Correspondents might properly be warned that they transmit such at their
>own risk as many MTAs or MUAs auto-trash such attachments.

A few people have configured their MUAs to trash messages with
attachments.  No MTAs do, at least none that actually perform any useful
service.

>See <http://www.camblab.com/nugget/htmlmail.pdf>

MIME does not imply HTML e-mail.  PMMail sends MIME messages, even if you
select plain text only.  It is both possible and useful to have a MIME
message that is multipart/mixed, with a text/plain part and another part
with some useful attachment.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.