[pmmail-list] Enhancement request

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:46:50 -0400

Hi Carl,

>BUT, if you want to Search/Find across the whole account, how do you
>propose for that to happen?

It's extremely rare that I ever have a need to Search/Find across the
entire account, but to do so I can open up the Search/Find window for
any folder and then click on the arrow at the end of the 'Look In'
field and select the Main folder (or whatever the primary folder for
the account is named) and check the Subfolders box.  Generally, I am
more interested in searching through a single folder or group of
folders and then I just select it, RMB click and select Search and when
the Search dialog pops up I can decide whether or not to include its
subfolders.

>Do you really want Ctrl-F to always pick the current folder?   Because,
>then you will have to scroll from where ever you are to the top of the
>account if that is what you want to search?

Yes.  For me it is illogical to select a folder and then enter Ctrl-F
and have a dialog pop up for searching an entirely different folder.
Keep in mind, that the problem is worse with in the Windows version
than the OS/2 version.  Ctrl-F in the OS/2 version always defaults to
the Main folder so at least you know what to expect.  Ctrl-F in the
Windows version defaults to whatever the last folder was you searched
in.

I find it much quicker to search through a single folder or group of
folders for a particular message than to search through the entire
account.  This is likely because my setup is quite different than
yours.  I manage several different accounts with PMMail but my main
account consists of more than 80 folders holding thousands of messages.
 Searching through the entire account takes a significant amount of
time - even on a very fast system - so I always try to narrow down the
search, first.

>What is wrong with the menu on the current folder?

Sorry, don't understand your question?

>Not really sure there is a 'bug' but, rather, working as designed.  You
>just do not like the design.

Well, on OS/2 it "could" be working as intended, but if it is it is a
lousy design.  Searching can be slow even on fast systems, so even just
discriminating between searching the Inbox or Sent folder, for
instance, can significantly speed up the process.  There aren't too
many instances where you would be unable to determine whether what you
were searching for was in an email you received versus one you sent and
therefore searching the entire account should be a last resort.

As far as the Windows version is concerned, however, it's definitely a
bug.  Regardless of the folder selected, Ctrl-F defaults to searching
in the previous folder you searched.

Ralph