[pmmail-list] [mkc] why am I getting these errors?

Mike Kilroy pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:06:05 -0400

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_2035016=_=_=_

I learned all about 'relaying' error with my mail hoster.  They give this error when  you try to SEND without RECEIVING mail first
(from a given IP address).  It is the way to prevent illegal use of their servers by someone who RELAYS thru them.  So.  They, and
a lot of others (sounds like your's included), have started using this scheme.  So if you get a relaying error, you need to FETCH
mail first, then send and it should be ok.  Depending on the robustness of the servers relaying software, it may take hanging up
your connection (so you get a clean new IP address) then doing a Fetch and then send.  Relaying has nothing at all to do with
Pmmail or your computer.

Hopefully with this explaination, assuming it applies to you, you should be able to find a good way to work around it.

>>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:52:23 -0700, Marty Rimpau wrote:
>>>
>>>Hello, list, twice, once yesterday, and once today, I haven't been able
>>>to send mail, and I don't know if it is how pm mail is connecting or
>>>what, but it has happened twice now, ...
>>>
>>>Mon, 20 Oct 03 15:26:03 ==> 550 relaying to <junkmail@earthlink.net>
>>>prohibited by administrator ; This is the error that resulted from the
>>>RCPT TO command
>>
>>Do you have multiple "accounts" in your PMMail setup, so that your From:
>>addresses might differ from time to time?  If you have a yahoo.com
>>account, for example, and you try to send mail with that return address
>>through mindspring.com's e-mail server to someone who is not on
>>mindspring.com, that is considered "relaying" and should be denied.
>>--
>>- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
>>  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
>>

>>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------
>>To POST to the list, send your message to:
>>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

>>with the first line of the message body being...
>>

>Marty
>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------
>To POST to the list, send your message to:
>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

>with the first line of the message body being...

Mike, AC8V

              \\|//
           (  o . o  )
-----o00o------(_)------o00o-----

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_2035016=_=_=_

<HTML>

<FONT FACE="Courier New" DEFAULT="FACE"><FONT SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10" DEFAULT="SIZE">I learned all about 'relaying' error with my mail hoster.  They give this error when  you try to SEND without RECEIVING mail first (from a given IP address).  It is the way to prevent illegal use of their servers by someone who RELAYS thru them.  So.  They, and a lot of others (sounds like your's included), have started using this scheme.  So if you get a relaying error, you need to FETCH mail first, then send and it should be ok.  Depending on the robustness of the servers relaying software, it may take hanging up your connection (so you get a clean new IP address) then doing a Fetch and then send.  Relaying has nothing at all to do with Pmmail or your computer.<BR>

<BR>

Hopefully with this explaination, assuming it applies to you, you should be able to find a good way to work around it.<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

&gt;&gt;On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:52:23 -0700, Marty Rimpau wrote:<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;Hello, list, twice, once yesterday, and once today, I haven't been able<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;to send mail, and I don't know if it is how pm mail is connecting or<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;what, but it has happened twice now, ...<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;Mon, 20 Oct 03 15:26:03 ==&gt; 550 relaying to &lt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>junkmail@earthlink.net<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U>&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;prohibited by administrator ; This is the error that resulted from the<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;RCPT TO command<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;Do you have multiple "accounts" in your PMMail setup, so that your From:<BR>

&gt;&gt;addresses might differ from time to time?  If you have a yahoo.com<BR>

&gt;&gt;account, for example, and you try to send mail with that return address<BR>

&gt;&gt;through mindspring.com's e-mail server to someone who is not on<BR>

&gt;&gt;mindspring.com, that is considered "relaying" and should be denied.<BR>

&gt;&gt;--<BR>

&gt;&gt;- Tim Roberts, <FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>timr@probo.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;&gt;  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;To POST to the list, send your message to:<BR>

&gt;&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;with the first line of the message body being...<BR>

&gt;&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;Marty<BR>

&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------<BR>

&gt;To POST to the list, send your message to:<BR>

&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;with the first line of the message body being...<BR>

&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

&gt;<BR>

<BR>

</HTML>

<HTML>
<LEFT>
<FONT FACE="Courier New" COLOR="#000001" SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10" DEFAULT="ALL">
Mike,&nbsp;AC8V<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;\\|//<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(&nbsp;&nbsp;o&nbsp;.&nbsp;o&nbsp;&nbsp;)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_2035016=_=_=_--