[pmmail-list] PMMailW crashes -corrupting DropBoxes

Hazen Woods pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:28:07 -0500

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:41:21 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

>>On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:40:57 -0500, Hazen Woods wrote:
>>>
>>>Recent changes.  A few months ago I changed HardDrives and increased
>>>the partition sizes.  The partition on which PMMail is located is 5 GB.
>>>Some say the limit for pinball is 4 GB, but I think it is actually 8GB.
>>
>>Just because you think it doesn't make it so.  In fact, HPFS uses 32-bit
>>fields to hold sizes and pointers.  That means it has a limit of 4 GB, and as
>>soon as you try to write a file beyond 4 GB, your partition will be trashed.
>>
>>HPFS should be used on NT ONLY if you need dual-boot with OS/2.  Otherwise,
>>it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Thanks, Tim.  Perhaps I should have included more information in my original post, but it simply did
not occur to me that anyone would want both NTFS and HPFS unless Warp or eCS was also being
used.  I have Win2k, Warp 4 (last FP) and eCS 1.0. Originally this was Warp only, but added Win2k
Pro about a year ago when certain applications I have to run required the Windows OS.  At that time I
opted to install Win2K on C: with NTFS, patched with pinball to read HPFS partitions and the rest I left
as it was.    A long way around to saying that I dual boot with OS/2.

>>>Others on this and other sites (maybe you are one of them) suggest a
>>>better solution than pinball is to change from HPFS to FAT32.  Do you have
>>>any suggestions as to where to read up on the pros and cons of FAT32?
>>
>>The fundamental "pro" of FAT32 is that a partition can be up to 2 terabytes.
>>It's a bit slower than FAT16, but not so that a human can detect it.
>>
>>If you boot nothing but NT/2K/XP on this box, I strongly recommend you go to
>>NTFS.  It is faster, more efficient, and more secure than FAT, and because it
>>is a journalling file system, it is SIGNIFICANTLY more resistant to
>>corruption due to crashes than ANY of the other choices.
>>
>>Here's a file system flow chart:
>>
>>  if (Need to dual-boot with Win95) then
>>    * use FAT 16, limit partitions to 524MB
>>  else if (Need to dual-boot with Win98 or Linux) then
>>    * use FAT 32
>>  else if (Need to dual-boot with OS/2) then
>>    * use HPFS, limit partitions to 4 GB
>>  else
>>    * use NTFS

Thanks for this information.