[pmmail-list] Feature Request

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:05:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:09:12 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:39:24 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:
>>
>>Well, if a potential of 20 Million OS/2 users* is not a nice base to
>>start with, then they are doomed to fail anyhow.
>
>I can believe there are 20 million computers running OS/2, but a
>substantial number of them are embedded systems such as ATMs, brokerage
>systems, factory automation, ticketing machines, and so on, that do not
>run a PM GUI and thus are not targets for PMMail.
>
>I'm not the Gartner Group, of course, but I'd wager that the number of
>OS/2 desktops is less than a tenth of that figure.
>--
>- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com

OK, fine...  Neither of us are Gartner.  BUT...

Let's use your 10% number and do a little math.  And, while we are at
it, let's assume that an excellent product, aimed at a 'starved user
community' could still only garner 10% of that market.

10% of 20 Million = 2 Million

2 Million prospects, 10% who will purchase an excellent E-Mail client
with good support.

That's 200K copies.

And, let's assume that they can get US$50 per copy:
	200,000 x $50.00 = $10,000,000 [One-Time Income]

And, let's say that, if the product were upgraded at least once per
year, with a US$5.00 upgrade charge.  Then you would have an annual
'annuity' income of:
	200,000 x $5.00  = $1,000,000 PER YEAR!

Now, is that such a bad business opportunity?  If you owned the base
product and you could get nine of your closest buddies to take $1
MILLION up front, and $100K per year for each of you, do you think your
might find a way to tinker with the product a little?

Oh, you don't like my assumptions?  Make your own!  But assuming only a
ONE PERCENT penetration of the total population does not sound too
unreasonable to me.  And, even if it were less than that, even half, so
you only get FOUR of your buddies and each could still drag in a nice
sum.

Your turn...

Carl