[pmmail-list] Feature Request

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:22:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:49:53 -0400, Steve Barber wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:09:12 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
>

>>I'm not the Gartner Group, of course, but I'd wager that the number of
>>OS/2 desktops is less than a tenth of that figure.
>>--
>
>I'd have to agree ... if you don't count the ATMs or other
>embedded stuff, you'd have a hard time getting even close
>to 20 million.  Perhaps if you counted the desktops sitting
>on Goodwill's shelves or in the dump you could get a big
>number, but it's hard to call those "stranded users".
>
>You also probably shouldn't count my (still plugged in, but
>seldom turned on) 486 Aptiva that's still running a
>pre-Warp OS/2 as "stranded" either.  I just keep it around
>as a curiosity :-).
>
>SteveB

Maybe so, but the exact quote from the referenced article is:
	"...Curtis Sasaki, Sun vice president of engineering for
	desktop solutions, told ComputerWire the company
	'conservatively' estimates there are 20 million customers
	stranded on IBM Corp's legacy operating system..."
Maybe Mr. Sasaki is not in touch with Gartner either.  But, I would
give him a little credit for looking a 'desktop systems' since he is in
charge of 'desktop solutions' for Sun.

When you abandoned your 486 Aptiva, did you 'transfer' you PAID license
for OS/2 to your new system?  Or did you BUY a new one?  If you
actually paid for a completely new license, then your old system should
not be considered one of the 'stranded' ones.  If you either
transferred or used an UPGRADE to your original license, then your old
system would not legitimately be counted by someone trying to estimate
the size of the OS/2 population.

Now, maybe you really did abandon OS/2 completely.  But, if a few
people who can do some relatively simple math [see my other post to
Tim] were to rethink the OS/2 market place, might you reconsider your
use of OS/2?  Actually, eComStation is the more likely platform, but
for this they can be considered equivalent.

Carl