[pmmail-list] optimal pop settings, and how to know

Marty Rimpau pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:12:37 -0700

Hi list, I think I've figured out the source of the error messages with
pm mail, but what I don't understand, is why one setting works
optimally, while I get error messages with the other setting
reccommended by mindspring.  They reccommend the pop setting,
mail.mindspring.com for the pop setting, according to the technition I
spoke with, and though this setting works, I would experience the error
check error log messages with Norton 2004 enabled, and with Norton 2004
disabled, I'd get error 10061 could not connect messages, and so I
called mind spring to try and sort things out, which I couldn't do,
because they don't support pm mail, so yesterday, I called mindspring
again, and it looked as though I was headed for the rocks as before,
but during the conversation, the young technition, inadvertantly
mentioned, by mistake, pop.mindspring.com, which I tried, and I am
pretty sure, but I think that solved the connecting to the pop server
problem, but I can't figure out why, if several configurations are
supposed to work, why does one work optimally, and the others work
marginally, if at all?  You'd think that only one configuration would
work, and that that configuration would work optimally, but you could
have, for example mail.mindspring.com for your pop server, or,
pop.mindspring.com for your pop server, but how would you know which
setting would bring optimal performance, unless you tried them both?  I
have had this account since 2000 going back to pm mail version 2010,
and am now using pm mail version 2696, and only had to change
configuration a few times, that being for Norton 2001, when I had to
use 127.0.0.1 for the pop server, but even then, for my user name, I
found that 2001 worked best if I used my complete email address as a
part of my user name, as you have to use pop.mindspring.com with that,
but maybe I'm not understanding something correctly, but how does one
know which setting will work optimally with pm mail, because it's not a
question of pm mail not receiving mail, but rather, a question of it
not being able to connect to the pop server on an intermitent basis,
which seems to have cleared up by using the current settings, which
mindspring doesn't reccommend, so could somebody please explain why
this is, so that, in the future, if I switch providers, I'll know what
the optimal setting should be, and sorry for the run on message, but
this is interesting.

Marty