[pmmail-list] peculiar problem

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:13:56 -0700

Ralph Cohen wrote:

>Hi Tim,
>
>I think something that confuses the situation is that while email
>address and domain names are not case sensitive, individual web page
>names are.

Actually, as Steve pointed out, the portion of an e-mail address to the
left of the <at> sign CAN be case sensitive, if the receiving mail
system so chooses.  I don't know any that do so, but the RFCs clearly
allow it.

>For example www.abc.com/Page1.html is not the same as
>www.abc.com/page1.html.  Incorrect cases for page names is one of the
>most common reasons for Page Not Found errors.

Yes, and it's a stupid situation.  Several experienced web developers
have suggested using Apache rewrite rules to eliminate that.  Users
shouldn't have to worry about case, except in parameters and forms.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.