[pmmail-list] peculiar problem

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:54:47 -0400

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:52:47 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

>Steve Wendt wrote:
>>On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Tim Roberts wrote:
>>
>>E-mail addresses and domain names are not case-sensitive.
>>mrimpau<at>mindspring.com and MRimpau<at>MindSpring.COM are exactly the
>>same address.
>>

>>Domain names are not case-sensitive, but user names can be... it all
>>depends on how the receiving mail server handles it (most of them just
>>convert the username to lowercase, but not all of them do).
>
>I went to the RFCs to refute this, but I find that you are correct.  My apologies.
>--

Hi Tim,

I think something that confuses the situation is that while email
address and domain names are not case sensitive, individual web page
names are.  For example www.abc.com/Page1.html is not the same as
www.abc.com/page1.html.  Incorrect cases for page names is one of the
most common reasons for Page Not Found errors.

Ralph