[pmmail-list] Antivirus and PMMail2000

John Angelico pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:09:42 +1100 (AEDT)

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:01:07 -0500, deadlist@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
wrote:

>Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:58:07 +0000 (GMT)
>From: "Dave Saville" <dave.saville@ntlworld.com>
>Subject: Re: [pmmail-list] Antivirus and PMMail2000

>There are two problems, if you have on access scanning on then any
>filter type script can't read the email - 'cos its infected. If you
>tell Norman to exclude the mail directories then you cannot check
>them from the command line or in a script - stupid program says "you
>told me you don't want to do stuff in here" and quits. I have asked
>Norman to add a switch to ignore the exclude list.

PMFJI, but I would have thought this represented accurate programming of an
automaton: "you said you didn't want me to go there so I am not going there."
The alternative is "you said you didn't want me to go there but this time you
do so now I don't know what the hell you want!" or in Asimov's term an
irreconcilable First Law conflict leading to irreversible positronic brain
damage.

However, I agree with asking Norman to provide an override, which would
represent the real world situation better "you said you normally don't want
me to go there so I don't but this is a special case, so I am going there -
just this once, and only because you ordered me to!"

<g> Funny, it sounds just like a bureaucrat would talk... don't take the
blame for anything, just follow orders.

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG