[pmmail-list] Antivirus and PMMail2000

Dave Saville pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:15:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:09:42 +1100 (AEDT), John Angelico wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:01:07 -0500, deadlist@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
>wrote:
>
>>Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:58:07 +0000 (GMT)
>>From: "Dave Saville" <dave.saville@ntlworld.com>
>>Subject: Re: [pmmail-list] Antivirus and PMMail2000
>

>>There are two problems, if you have on access scanning on then any
>>filter type script can't read the email - 'cos its infected. If you
>>tell Norman to exclude the mail directories then you cannot check
>>them from the command line or in a script - stupid program says "you
>>told me you don't want to do stuff in here" and quits. I have asked
>>Norman to add a switch to ignore the exclude list.
>
>PMFJI, but I would have thought this represented accurate programming of an
>automaton: "you said you didn't want me to go there so I am not going there."
>The alternative is "you said you didn't want me to go there but this time you
>do so now I don't know what the hell you want!" or in Asimov's term an
>irreconcilable First Law conflict leading to irreversible positronic brain
>damage.

No it is not really. The exclude list should be for the automatic on
access scanner. The problem is if you specifically run NVC from the
command line or in a script it refuses to do so because of the
exclude list. There is no conflict. Automatic - use the list. Manual
- do as I damn well tell you :-)

--
Regards

Dave Saville