[pmmail-list] Spell Check Dictionary

Gary DiPillo pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:50:05 -0500 (EST)

I support the PMMail clients for my company.

We recently found that there are a number of words in the spell check
dictionary which we find offensive.  I don't expect any of my employees
to use these words, but I would like to remove these words from the
dictionary so that a) they do not inadvertantly let a misspelling or
typo that results in one of these words through without an opportunity
for correction, and b) so that they are not offered as a suggested
correction to a word which is inadvertently accepted by the user in
haste.

A real example:  One of my users was writing to a business contact
whose name is Kevin.  Kevin is not in her dictionary, so the spell
checker offered "kike" as its first suggestion.

I know I can edit the text file DICTOT.TXT to remove the words, but I
don't know what the overall impact of doing this would be on the spell
checker since it does not simultaneously update the files DICTOT.DIC,
DIPTHONG.DIC or DIPTHONG.HDR.

Does anyone know what the consequences of editing just DICTOT.TXT will
be?  Is anyone aware of a tool that will properly manage these
dictionary files?

I have already looked for this in the forums with no result, and my
question to support has gone unacknowledged and unanswered.

Thanks.
Gary DiPillo

Axios Products, Inc.
support@axiosproducts.com