[pmmail-list] Spell Check Dictionary

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:17:34 -0800

Gary DiPillo wrote:

>I support the PMMail clients for my company.
>
>We recently found that there are a number of words in the spell check
>dictionary which we find offensive.  I don't expect any of my employees
>to use these words, but I would like to remove these words from the
>dictionary so that a) they do not inadvertantly let a misspelling or
>typo that results in one of these words through without an opportunity
>for correction, and b) so that they are not offered as a suggested
>correction to a word which is inadvertently accepted by the user in
>haste.
>
>A real example:  One of my users was writing to a business contact
>whose name is Kevin.  Kevin is not in her dictionary, so the spell
>checker offered "kike" as its first suggestion.

Without meaning to trivialize this at all, this reminds me of a couple
of things.

I recently tried to acquire a personalized domain for myself (Harris's
Lament: All The Good Ones Are Taken).  GoDaddy.com has a feature where
it will suggest alternative domain names when the one you want is
taken.  When tim-roberts.com was taken, it actually included
"tim-roberts-is-an-asshole.com" among its suggestions.  I suspect this
is some kind of automated pattern recognition gone awry, but it ticked
me off.

The purchasing manager in the City of Los Angeles a recently decreed
that, due to an employee complaint, it will no longer buy any computer
peripherals which include the labels "master" and "slave".  It's going
to be tough for them to buy any IDE disk drives.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.