[pmmail-list] question regarding remote function in pm mail

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:55:58 -0500

On 1/30/2004 6:12 PM Marty Rimpau wrote:

>Hi all, with these latest virus outbreaks going around, I have taken to
>examining my messages on the server before I download mail, and I'm
>wondering if there's a way to set up a condition, if one does not exist
>in pm mail, where you can bounce messages back to the sender before
>they're downloaded if a subject, or person isn't recognized?  I found
>several virus messages on the server before I downloaded the mail this
>morning, and was just wondering if either a condition can be created,
>or this feature can be added to bounce the junk mail back to the
>sender, so that eventually, you won't get anymore mail from that
>address?  Thanks, and I've just started playing with remote on pm mail
>version 2717.

Bouncing a virus message back to the sender is a bad idea. The "sender"
is rarely the real sender, and these notification messages become part
of the problem.

And in the case of spam, telling the spammer that you have a valid email
address is also a bad idea, although the odds of the address you reply
to being real are pretty slim. Then you'll just get bounce messages back.

What you really want in the latter case is for the server to refuse the
message. I doubt that kind of thing can be simulated by PMMail, but I'm
not positive. In any case, it isn't likely to decrease the spam much.