[pmmail-list] [mkc] pm mail problem for Brandon

Mike Kilroy pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:35:43 -0500

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_3160648=_=_=_

not sure if I can email an jpg of my norton-2004/popfile/pmmail to the list, so am just sending a second email direct to you.

I have had to put the 127.0.0.1 in since the old norton, including the new 2004 as far as I know.  It does work here this way
anyway.  Could be I had to do this for popfile though now that I think of it.... Since you are having issues, perhaps you could
download popfile and use it as an inbetween to see if it solves your problem.  I am not sure how anyone uses email anymore
without a spam filter like popfile anyway.  PS; it is free at http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:20:59 -0800, Marty Rimpau wrote:

> [...]

>>point to 127.0.0.1 so that pmmail can log into norton and get the
>>mail messages that are not virus ridden.
>>
>>With norton disabled your PMMAIL setup (Receive page - POP) should
>>point to your isp's mailserver, and get all the mail unfiltered.
>>
>>This probably explains the 10061 you are seeing when norton is
>>disabled. It is not enough to just turn off norton, you must
>>tell PMMAIL that it should connect directly to your ISP.
>>
>>If you enable norton, and pmmail is trying to pop the messages
>>from norton and having problems. Try this - when the problem
>>is occurring and when it is not -
>>
>>  telnet 127.0.0.1 25 (windows)
>>  telnet 127.0.0.1 -p 25 (os/2 - I believe)
>>
>>You should see a banner message from the norton software, if
>>you do not it is a problem with norton I would think.
>>
>>On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:55:58 -0800, Marty Rimpau wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, Brandon, sorry to change the subject, but I've written to the
>>>support address, and this list, and have not gotten a satisfactory
>>>answer to my problem, and that is, that I just upgraded to Norton 2004
>>>about a month ago, and my receiving mail has been speratic.  If Norton
>>>email scanning is disabled, I get error 10061 messages when it is
>>>trying to fetch mail, but with Norton email scanning enabled, I get
>>>error check error log messages, when in fact, something is happening
>>>where it can't connect to the server, and when this happens, pressing
>>>f2 continually gives me error check error log messages until the
>>>problem is resolved.  I even tried going back to version 2696, from
>>>version 2717, and I still get error messages, and I can't reach anyone
>>>because the 1-800 number has been disconnected, and this is very
>>>frustrating, because I never know when it's going to happen, and so I
>>>thought it was the dropbox folder, which I deleted from the .acct
>>>folder, but that didn't do it, and when this happens, it's as if the
>>>server goes down, or, port 110 is being blocked some how, and I wonder
>>>what could be causing this problem, when I contacted tech support at my
>>>provider, and they said they didn't support pm mail, and said that the
>>>servers were working fine, and symantec charges $29 per incident, and
>>>to me, it's not practical to pay that for every question you have, and
>>>programming types on the list have said that my Norton is messed up,
>>>but it seems that if that were true, symantec would have been aware of
>>>it by now, and offered a patch, or something to remmedy the situation.
>>>I don't have any problem sending mail, but I can be receiving mail, and
>>>then all of a sudden, it just goes down for 10 minutes, and with Norton
>>>2001, I never had this problem, so what can I do?  On Mon, 29 Mar 2004

>>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------
>>To POST to the list, send your message to:
>>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

>>with the first line of the message body being...
>with the first line of the message body being...

Mike, AC8V

              \\|//
           (  o . o  )
-----o00o------(_)------o00o-----

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_3160648=_=_=_

<HTML>

<FONT SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10" DEFAULT="SIZE">not sure if I can email an jpg of my norton-2004/popfile/pmmail to the list, so am just sending a second email direct to you.<BR>

<BR>

I have had to put the 127.0.0.1 in since the old norton, including the new 2004 as far as I know.  It does work here this way anyway.  Could be I had to do this for popfile though now that I think of it.... Since you are having issues, perhaps you could download popfile and use it as an inbetween to see if it solves your problem.  I am not sure how anyone uses email anymore without a spam filter like popfile anyway.  PS; it is free at http://popfile.sourceforge.net/<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:20:59 -0800, Marty Rimpau wrote:<BR>

<BR>

&gt;Hi, Steve, I don't know how to telnet, and ever since Norton 2002, you<BR>

&gt;didn't have to use 127.0.0.1 unlike Norton 2000, and Norton 2001.  In<BR>

&gt;Norton 2001, it would show what email clients were detected, and you<BR>

&gt;had to use 127.0.0.1 as the pop server, because 2001 didn't recognize<BR>

&gt;pm mail, but in Norton 2004, there isn't any way, to my knowledge, to<BR>

&gt;see what email clients are detected, but it apparently recognizes pm<BR>

&gt;mail, so with this in mind, what do I put in the fields in receive in<BR>

&gt;2004?  I'll keep your message, but I don't know how to telnet, because<BR>

&gt;I'm not a systems iengineer or programmer like the ones on the list.  <BR>

&gt;On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:35:16 -0500, Steve Marvin wrote:<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;Not Brandon, but ...<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;If I remember correctly, Norton acts as a *relay* for port 110 (pop3).<BR>

&gt;&gt;It *pops* the mail from your isp's mailserver, filters it and passes<BR>

&gt;&gt;the clean one's off to the mail client (in your case PMMAIL)<BR>

&gt;&gt;when PMMAIL calls in on port 110.<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;So with norton enabled, your PMMAIL setup (Receive page - POP) should<BR>

&gt;&gt;point to 127.0.0.1 so that pmmail can log into norton and get the<BR>

&gt;&gt;mail messages that are not virus ridden.<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;With norton disabled your PMMAIL setup (Receive page - POP) should<BR>

&gt;&gt;point to your isp's mailserver, and get all the mail unfiltered.<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;This probably explains the 10061 you are seeing when norton is<BR>

&gt;&gt;disabled. It is not enough to just turn off norton, you must<BR>

&gt;&gt;tell PMMAIL that it should connect directly to your ISP.<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;If you enable norton, and pmmail is trying to pop the messages<BR>

&gt;&gt;from norton and having problems. Try this - when the problem<BR>

&gt;&gt;is occurring and when it is not -<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;  telnet 127.0.0.1 25 (windows)<BR>

&gt;&gt;  telnet 127.0.0.1 -p 25 (os/2 - I believe)<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;You should see a banner message from the norton software, if<BR>

&gt;&gt;you do not it is a problem with norton I would think.<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:55:58 -0800, Marty Rimpau wrote:<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;Hi, Brandon, sorry to change the subject, but I've written to the<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;support address, and this list, and have not gotten a satisfactory<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;answer to my problem, and that is, that I just upgraded to Norton 2004<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;about a month ago, and my receiving mail has been speratic.  If Norton<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;email scanning is disabled, I get error 10061 messages when it is<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;trying to fetch mail, but with Norton email scanning enabled, I get<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;error check error log messages, when in fact, something is happening<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;where it can't connect to the server, and when this happens, pressing<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;f2 continually gives me error check error log messages until the<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;problem is resolved.  I even tried going back to version 2696, from<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;version 2717, and I still get error messages, and I can't reach anyone<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;because the 1-800 number has been disconnected, and this is very<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;frustrating, because I never know when it's going to happen, and so I<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;thought it was the dropbox folder, which I deleted from the .acct<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;folder, but that didn't do it, and when this happens, it's as if the<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;server goes down, or, port 110 is being blocked some how, and I wonder<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;what could be causing this problem, when I contacted tech support at my<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;provider, and they said they didn't support pm mail, and said that the<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;servers were working fine, and symantec charges $29 per incident, and<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;to me, it's not practical to pay that for every question you have, and<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;programming types on the list have said that my Norton is messed up,<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;but it seems that if that were true, symantec would have been aware of<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;it by now, and offered a patch, or something to remmedy the situation. <BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;I don't have any problem sending mail, but I can be receiving mail, and<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;then all of a sudden, it just goes down for 10 minutes, and with Norton<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;2001, I never had this problem, so what can I do?  On Mon, 29 Mar 2004<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;17:04:09 -0500, Blueprint Software wrote:<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:43:48 +0100 (MEZ), Tobias Huerlimann wrote:<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I wonder if anyone has any news concerning the release of the source code<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;of PMMail/2 at SourceForge? I realize that Brandon told us he'd post any<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;news here as soon as he gets the source code from the developer. But that<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;was more than two month ago, so I'm curious about what the current<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;situation is like.<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Just to update everyone, I am in fact still awaiting the source code<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;from Peter. He has been extremely busy getting the next release of<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;PMView ready for the past few weeks. At any rate, I will send another<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;nudge his way and see if we can't get something moving on SourceForge<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;sooner rather than later. As always, anything new will be posted here<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;first!<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Thanks!<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;--<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Brandon King<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>brandonk@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>www.blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;To POST to the list, send your message to:<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;with the first line of the message body being...<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;To POST to the list, send your message to:<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;with the first line of the message body being...<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;To POST to the list, send your message to:<BR>

&gt;&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;&gt;with the first line of the message body being...<BR>

&gt;&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

&gt;&gt;<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;Marty<BR>

&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------<BR>

&gt;To POST to the list, send your message to:<BR>

&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;with the first line of the message body being...<BR>

&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;<BR>

<BR>

</HTML>

<HTML>
<LEFT>
<FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="#000001" SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10" DEFAULT="ALL">
Mike,&nbsp;AC8V<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;\\|//<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(&nbsp;&nbsp;o&nbsp;.&nbsp;o&nbsp;&nbsp;)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_3160648=_=_=_--