[pmmail-list] the 3 choices regarding authentication for receiving mail

Marty Rimpau pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:59:22 -0800

Hi list, I noticed that there are 3 radio buttons for authentication,
when receiving mail, for receiving mail, and I've always left mine on
pass words, but what do the other choices mean, and might this be a
partial cause of my error messages, if they've changed any server
settings with mind spring?  The other two choices are, apop, and rpa,
and what do they mean, and if I choose one of these, is there a
possibility of my errors going away?  Twice today, I started pm mail,
and immediately pressed f2, and it said error check error log, and with
Norton disabled, it would say, error 10061, could not connect, so I
wonder if, what happens, if, several people are trying to connect to
the server at once, it says, wait your turn, you're tenth in line, or
some such number like that, and would the other settings prevent this?
I never know when these errors will happen, and right now, it is fine,
but the longest I could go before I start getting error check error log
messages is about two hours and 40 minutes, but this is iffy.  I wonder
if they might encorperate a setting in the receive mail options whereby
there's a check box that says confirm pass command before fetching
mail, so that in effect, the pop server would say to pm mail, ok, I got
the pass word, go ahead and get the mail, so that at least, under those
conditions, if you look at the message, in my case, with my mouse
immulation keys, with num pad 8, it would say, connecting to pop
server, sending pass command, so that at least you would know that it's
trying to connect, so that, no errors would be placed in the error log,
as pm mail would be doing its' propper job.  How this would be
implimented, I have no idea, but it is an idea in my computer
illiterate mind.
Marty