[pmmail-list] Interest in New Edition of PMMail

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:22:07 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:51:16 -0500 (EST), Walter F. Metcalf wrote:

> VOICE is considering sponsoring an updated and supported version of
PMMail for OS/2.

   Good news!

> There is the general feeling that a large number of people still use
this long-dead email client because is is fast, and feature-rich,
> among other reasons.

   I am still using it, but I am about to switch to TheBat! which also
means to take away one more application from OS/2 to Windows.

> Possibly others would start using it again if it were
> updated and supported.

   It is quite late now, and it is a big question, if an overhaul of
PMMail could incite people to move back to OS/2...

> Before VOICE commits to this project, which could be costly and
developer-intensive, at least in the short term, we want to get a
> slightly better idea of the usage and interest in PMMail for OS/2, so
we have created a poll to determine this.

   Why should it be costly? There is this Sourceforge project for making
PMMail/2 an open source project -- or it was: I just did a search on
Sourceforge.org for PMMail, but that only turned out a "PMMail
archiver".

   So that means that the current owners of the PMMail source were
resolved to give the PMMail source to the public for free, and I think
this is the way to be pursued. I remember that several people writing on
this list have voiced interest in contributing work towards improving
PMMail after it is made into open source.

   And PMMail really does need a big overhaul, not only for adding some
more charsets (which should be made in a way that those could be added
by users in form of a plugin), but most importantly, the MIME
implementation needs a complete rewrite, if I am not mistaken.

   OTOH, I think that it would be wrong to just revamp the OS/2 version
and let the Windows version rot and go bust. One should try to unify the
sources and try to do that in such a way that this product can also be
implemented on Linux and Mac.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main