[pmmail-list] SMB directly on TCP/IP: SAMBA (was: Exporting fromm PMM to Outlook?)

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:12:35 +0100 (MEZ)

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:51:14 -0800, Don Buska wrote:

> I'm confused.  I've always been under the impression that NETBIOS and
> NETBEUI were essentially the same.  MS calls it NETBEUI and IBM calls
> it NETBIOS.

  Not exactly:

  NETBIOS = NETwork Basic Input Output System
  NETBEUI = NETBIps Extended User Interface

  True is that both names quite often are used interchangeble.

> You can have NETBIOS (MPTS) over TCPIP (TCPIP) on the OS/2 side
> and NETBEUI on the server side and all works fine for file services.

  You would need also NETBIOS over TCP/IP at the Windows server side.

> I've done it for years.
> I may have both NETBIOS and NETBIOS over TCPIP running,
> but some say the NETBIOS alone really isn't needed.

  I think I start to understand the problem ..

  NETBIOS is not only a transport protocol, but is also used, as
developed back then by IBM, Microsoft and 3COM, directly as network
protocol, acessing directly the MAC layer. Different from Novell's IPX
though, and TCP/IP, NETBIOS cannot be routed, but is limited to a single
segment of a LAN. As a result, when the LAN is composed of more than one
segment and linked via routers, NETBIOS needs to be transported either
via IPX or via TCP/IP.

   The actual file and print services are carried in SMB, short for
Server Message Blocks.

   Now Microsoft has devised a means to use SMB without the NETBIOS
layer underneath it directly on TCP/IP. This is not supported, as far as
I know, on OS/2.

> My problem is I no longer have NETBEUI on the server side with
> their new WIN2003 servers.  So my OS/2 machine will no longer see the
> drive/folders/files on the server.

   They would just have to use the NetBT for backward compability with
older Windows systems, and OS/2...

> My problem is with NETBEUI gone from the WIN servers
> OS/2 is no longer a viable client in the MS world.

   Well, it would, if you install SAMBA on your OS/2 machine. Have a
look at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/ or download it directly from
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/internet/util/samba.zip
  or
> ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/internet/util/samba.zip

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main