[pmmail-list] Win2K3 vs OS/2 client

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:55:12 +0100 (MEZ)

Hi,

  you may have noted in the mean time that something was missing... but
for the sake of clarity, let me repeat:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:48:10 +0000 (GMT), Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

>> I have no experience with Win2003, but I would expect NetBIOS over
>> TCP/IP to still talk to TCPBEUI.
>
> It does. Just to spell it out:
>   Any version of Windows which supports Netbios over TCP/IP will talk
>   to any version of OS/2 which supports TCPBEUI (and these are the
>   names you should be looking for when configuring the networking.)

  Well, I was about to write things like that, but then I remembered
having read that Microsoft developed a way to put SMB (Server Message
Block) protocol directly on TCP/IP, without the need for the NETBIOS
layer inbetween. This is not supported by OS/2 out of the box.

  But OS/2 can do that with the SAMBA software, ported from Linux to
OS/2.

  The IT department could simply, for the purpose of interoperability,
install NetBT on the server, but for whatever reasons, they don't. BTW,
they might run into problems, since, according to an article in
Microsoft's "Knowledge Base", "Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange 2000
Server require NetBIOS name resolution for full functionality" (Article
ID 837391,
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837391 )

Yours,
Lüko Willms