[pmmail-list] alright, I've had enough ...

Sorin Srbu pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 16 May 2005 09:48:05 +0200

lists@blueprintsoftwareworks.com <> sez on Sunday, May 15, 2005 5:08 PM:

> On 15.05.2005 06:08, Rod Whitworth wrote:
>
>>> You won't be sorry if you change.
>
>> Unless something ever corrupts your mbox or an anti-virus thingy
>> "deletes the infected file" which is your mbox.
>
> Urban myth, dangerous smattering.

Don't want to start a flamewar, but...;

On the contrary. At least SAVCE9 does this. I have seen it on several
occasions. SAVCE put the whole file, in this case the in.mbx, in
quaratine or deletes it, depending on how the av-software is setup
centrally. I'm talking SAV corporate edition with the central managment
enabled.

> Never saw a corrupted mbox in 20 years. There is no simpler format and
> it hasn't the main drawback of one-file-per-message-format: snail's
> pace.

YMMV as they say, I guess. How many ppl at your work uses Tbird? Or is
this at home? I'm thinking statistics now; the more ppl use a mailer the
more a trend is visible. In short, do you base your observation on a
single instance (you) or several users at work or similar?

> When mentioning mailbox corruption: are you're possibly talking about
> Outlook's PST?

The pst-file is quite resilient. During my monthlong testphase at our
dept before rolling out Outlook 2000 at work, I provoked quite a few
intentional mailer crashes, and a few unintentional 8-), and I've yet to
see a pst-file that wasn't ok when opened up again in the OL-GUI. Note
that the pst-files I've tested with were in the 200-500MB size range.
The practical limit that I've read and heard about all were in the
750+MB range. MS does state that 2GB is the upper limit, but any sane
user will (hopefully...) stay well below that. YMMV yet again.

You may want to have a look here for starters:

<http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040430.htm#myths>

Please note that I'm no Outlook advocate or anything, and do not want to
start a flame war... 8-) I decided on OL as our standard dept mailer
because it was the least of all evil. I'm pretty sure there are better
mailers out there, but none that fits us as well.

HTH.