[pmmail-list] alright, I've had enough ...

Robert Dahlem pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 01:07:49 +0200

On 16.05.2005 09:48, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>>>Unless something ever corrupts your mbox or an anti-virus thingy
>>>"deletes the infected file" which is your mbox.

>>Urban myth, dangerous smattering.

> Don't want to start a flamewar, but...;

Never missed one. :-)

> On the contrary. At least SAVCE9 does this.

Come on! Don't blame the mbox format for the behaviour of some brain
dead Dr. Feelgood pseudo virus scanners. Emphasis is on "scanner".

There is not one single reason for a well behaved virus scanner to do
something else than _scanning_ files for virus patterns. It may prevent
you from accessing an infected file, but it may _never_ corrupt a file
while "repairing" it (not mentioning operations on copies of files).

>>Never saw a corrupted mbox in 20 years. There is no simpler format and
>>it hasn't the main drawback of one-file-per-message-format: snail's
>>pace.

> YMMV as they say, I guess. How many ppl at your work uses Tbird?

Well, TB is not around that long. Mbox is used by some hundred/thousand
users where I have a thing like an influence.

There is no such thing as a critical operation on mbox. In fact there
are only two operations: append (new mail) or a direct modification of
one status byte or another. Everything else is "make a copy while doing
what you think is useful and (in case of success) rename copy to original".

> You may want to have a look here for starters:
> <http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040430.htm#myths>

What do you expect from a so called "Microsoft Most Valuable
Professional"? Judgement? Giggle ...

Regards,
        Robert