[pmmail-list] Thunderbird vs. PMMail (was: alright, I've had enough ...)

Steve Marvin pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 12:58:43 -0400

On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:05:03 +0200 (MES), L.Willms wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:08:24 +0200, Robert Dahlem wrote:

[clip]

>  Besides, Thunderbird has problems with attached (embedded) messages.
>It doesn't show those sent from PMMail, because PMMail encodes every
>attachment with "Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64", what it shouldn't
>do according to the published MIME-rules. All other eMail clients which
>I had the chance to test with did decode such embedded messages without
>problems (The Bat!, Outlook, Outlook Express, KMail (Linux/KDE),
>T-Online Webmail).

I don't see anywhere in the rfc's applicable to mime that rule out the
encoding mechanisms in rfc2045 and in fact it designates this mechanism
as the default handling method for binary data. It would seem to be a
problem of Thunderbird's if it cannot handle base64.

  I have no devotion to or issue with any of the email clients mentioned
including Thunderbird, just putting in my 2 cents for posterity.

[clipped the rest]