[pmmail-list] Thunderbird vs. PMMail (was: alright, I've had enough ...)

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 22:10:11 +0200 (MES)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:58:43 -0400, Steve Marvin wrote:

> I don't see anywhere in the rfc's applicable to mime that rule out the

   It is not so clear in the current version, yet clearer in the older
one (RFC 1521).

> base64 is one of the listed encoding mechanisms in rfc2045
> and in fact it designates this mechanism as the default handling
> method for binary data.

  The reason given is that UA (User Agent) programs, i.e. eMail clients,
would have problems to process recursively nested encodings. I think
that is wrong, and this requirement should be dropped.

----schnipp--from RFC 2046---------------------

> It would seem to be a problem of Thunderbird's if it cannot
> handle base64.

   It can, but insisting on the rules of the RFCs should not go so far
as to refuse to do what other email clients can do.

Yours,

Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main