[pmmail-list] corrupted files crash program

Maynard maynard.o4 at discourse.mentabolism.org
Thu Jun 1 14:10:28 MEST 2006

Hi all,

While attempting a search, and subsquently a re-indexing, in certain
folders, PMMail/2 would crash, so I set out to discover what
characterized the bad message which caused the crash and discovered
several with hex FE bits only, or in header, which were the culprit.

I used grep to find files containing single FE char, then went to bed
and reviewed the results  in the morning before deleting, but I keep
thinking there's a better way.

I think the corruption was probably disk i/o rather than the
application, though a look at the dates didn't reveal anything other
than the files were all more than two years old.

--Maynard