[pmmail-list] corrupted files crash program

Dave Whiteman - NASA/GSFC david.n.whiteman at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 1 15:51:22 MEST 2006

All,

	Sadly I am considering switching to another email client due to the long delay in upgrades to PMMail2000. Does anyone know a way to migrate to
Eudora for example or other Pop client? thx.

>Hi all,
>
>While attempting a search, and subsquently a re-indexing, in certain
>folders, PMMail/2 would crash, so I set out to discover what
>characterized the bad message which caused the crash and discovered
>several with hex FE bits only, or in header, which were the culprit.
>
>I used grep to find files containing single FE char, then went to bed
>and reviewed the results  in the morning before deleting, but I keep
>thinking there's a better way.
>
>I think the corruption was probably disk i/o rather than the
>application, though a look at the dates didn't reveal anything other
>than the files were all more than two years old.
>
>--Maynard

Dave

*********************************
David Whiteman, Ph.D.
NASA/GSFC
Code 613.1/Mesoscale Atmospheric Processes Branch
david.n.whiteman at nasa.gov
Building 33 Room D404 (office)        301 614-6703
Building 33 Room F421B (lab)          301 614 6775
Greenbelt, MD 20771                       301 614-5492 (fax)

Raman Lidar Group ->     http://ramanlidar.gsfc.nasa.gov
WAVES Field Camaign -> http://ecotronics.com/lidar-misc/WAVES.htm

Please use the lab address for shipments.