[pmmail-list] Sending mail via comcast.net

Maynard maynard.o4 at discourse.mentabolism.org
Thu Nov 9 01:50:43 CET 2006

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:10:24 -0500 (EST), Jack Weaver wrote:

>503 need MAIL FROM; <name at domain> ; This is the error that resulted from the RCPT TO command.

Here's what I believe this to mean.

"the error that resulted from the RCPT TO command." means that the
error testing was applied after the RCPT TO command; the error tested
for however include everything which happened prior to, and including,
RCPT TO. This is standard practice these days.

"503 need MAIL FROM; <name at domain>" indicates that their server insists
that the MAIL FROM: value be of the form <name at domain.tld> which may be
RFC required, but is certainly RFC suggested. The current applicable
RFC for this is, or is linked from, 2821

When PMMail contacts a mail server with outbound mail, it uses
something else. I think it's the %HOSTNAME variable.

Changing %HOSTNAME to user at domain.tld would probably break something
else.

It's unfortunate that Comcast applies this test to it's connections
from user MUAs. Maybe they can be persuaded of the inappropriateness of
that. They'd certainly bend the rules to accomodate Outlook or
Exchange.

Your other alternative is to install a local email server such as zeryx
or weasel. In this configuration  you set PMMail to send to the local
server, and config the server to relay everything thru comcast. Those
mail servers are RFC compliant.

I don't know if you can get either of them to bind only to localhost
however. If not, they'll be on an exposed port; and you should take
care to configure and test them to not be openly relaying.

If you're on OS/2, this may be fixed shortly ??

Best Wishes,

--Maynard