[pmmail-list] PMMail2000 for Windows stopped in its tracks!

Robert Traynor (BobT) rtraynor at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 10 20:52:42 CEST 2010

Hi John,

I had a similar experience except that I was backing up PMMail from
my Desktop main computer to my small Notebook.  Something went
wrong in the GoodSync backup program and the ini files got wiped,
but only on the Notebook.

It was a NTFS system both ends.
A later update to GoodSync prevented it from occurring again and
in my case all I had to do was copy over the ini files.

That was about 5 months ago as far as I can recall.

If you have a backup archive of your PMMAIL you could copy out
the ini files and/or the PMMAILW.TCK file which may also have been
hosed.

HTH,
Regards,
Robert Traynor (BobT).
11 June 2010   4:52

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:39:46 +1000 (AEST), John Angelico wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I use PMMail for OS/2 v3 at home and PMMail 2000 for Win at work (latest
> release I think is build 2382 - from memory, as I am at home now).
>
> I have had the PMMail 2000 licence for a long time - at least 4-5 years.
>
> Suddenly on Monday morning this week (AEST) when I started PMMail at work,
> I see a large message box to say that "my evaluation period had expirede
> and I would need to purchase PMMail. Meanwhile, I could not send or receive
> emails, except for the one containing the unlock code."
>
> Mild Panic - has a virus attacked my system and corrupted the Registry,
> wiping out the registration details?
>
> Medium Panic - looking at the windows and fonts - gone back to defaults - I
> deduce that the PMMail INI has been wiped. So I berate myself for not
> backing up the INI along with the data. No idea for sure, but could a rogue
> virus email have snuck in and damaged the INI?
>
> Workaround - use webmail to access mail on the host server, while forking
> out money at BMT Micro for another licence and unlock code. And I am in
> Australia, and the AUD/USD exchange rate has gone against me!
>
> What else could go wrong? Well, here we are nearly at the end of the week,
> and no unlock code has arrived as yet.
>
> Next: one of my clients, using PMMail 2000 at home has tonight had the same
> experience. He also has a work computer with another PMMail 2000 and is
> wondering what he will find in the morning.
>
> New Theory: no longer suspecting any malicious intruder, but wondering
> about a 'drop-dead date' built into the program? A new form of Y2K bug?
>
> Has anyone else had this experience?
>
> And what did you do?
>
> Best regards,
>
> John Angelico
> talldad at kepl.com.au
> www.kepl.com.au

Grey's Law: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice".