Colored Backgrounds

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:40:55 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:38:48, David Gaskill wrote:

>Hazen, if you write to meet in ASCII I wouldn't be so discourteous as to reply to you in
>HTML. Similarly if someone writes to me in HTML I think it would be discourteous to
>reply in ASCII.

David, if I were using PMMail 2000 like you are, I too would have very
little objection to receiving HTML email.  If someone else wants to
waste 20 minutes HTMLizing an email to me containing a simple 5 word
message then that's their problem (unless they work for me<g>).
Personally, I don't think that HTMLizing email contributes much if
anything to the messages they contain while adding an unnecessary layer
of incompatibility.  Of course, PMMail/2 does not automatically render
HTML email so I do my best to discourage its use by those persons with
whom I regularly exchange email.  (Interestingly, I've found that most
people are unaware that they are sending HTML encoded email which may
not be universally readable and that once they're informed they turn
the option off.)  For the same reason I would never send an HTML email
to anyone else regardless of the type of email they send to me since I
think it would be discourteous to presume that they would be able to
read it without problems.

Ralph Cohen

rpcohen@neurotron.com