HTML Email was Colored Backgrounds

David Gaskill pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:32:48

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:32:40 +1000 (EST), John Angelico wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 22:25:42, David Gaskill wrote in reply to John
>Thompson:

>>>That's a tough one, since the customer is always right.  No
>>>need to compound the sin by using html email yourself,
>>>though.
>>
>>Just seems to me that it is courteous and probably good for business to reply using HTML if
>>that's what he has used.
>
>But David and John et al,
>
>Is it NECESSARILY discourteous to reply to a letter by phone? Only if
>the letter requests a written reply.
>
>By analogy, why would it be NECESSARY to reply to a HTML-email in
>exactly the same way?
>
>If the response required was a simple matter (eg YES/NO) why should
>it be sent HTML?

If I reply to your HTML e-mail in ASCII you *might* think that I was either too incompetent or
too behind the times to be able to respond in the same format. You  *might*  think that I was, by
implication, criticising your choice of format.

If I reply using the same format as you then neither of these possibilities arise.

I want you to like me because this increases the chances of us being able to do business.

David