HTML Email was Colored Backgrounds

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:36:26 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:32:48, David Gaskill wrote:

>If I reply to your HTML e-mail in ASCII you *might* think that I was either too incompetent or
>too behind the times to be able to respond in the same format. You  *might*  think that I was, by
>implication, criticising your choice of format.

This whole argument of "use HTML if someone sends you HTML" seems
silly to me. How would someone receiving a plain ASCII file ever know
that it was not HTML? Is *all* HTML email *required* to use a
coloured background? Is it *required* to use <bold> and <font
color="green"> tags? *Must* it have tables in it?

Of course not.

There is no reason for a person (who is using an HTML email client)
receiving a plain text email to ever realize it's any different from
HTML email. Plain text should always be the default.

 Trevor Smith          | We've got a blind date with destiny,
 trevor@haligonian.com | and it looks like she's ordered
 www.haligonian.com    | the lobster.         - The Shoveler