HTML-ised email

Steve Lamb pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:33:43 -0800

Monday, December 13, 1999, 3:29:04 PM, John wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 02:03:10 -0700, Dave in Phoenix AZ wrote:

>>Since I'm the one who started all this..... THAT, I agree with! As tests
>>showed the increased size isn't that great. Today disk space is cheap. Also
>>the Internet backbone per a recent WSJ article is expanding in capacity much
>>faster than even the rapid growth of traffic !

> But this wasn't always so. We cannot (as others have said) assume
> that capacity will always increase to meet the silly demands we place
> upon a system, and in ANY given finite timeframe, capacity/bandwidth
> is logically NOT infinite.

    Also, just to illustrate this point when it relates to disk space I wonder
how many people who see these cheap HDs realize that IBM's last few
breakthroughs in the HD technology is cramming bits onto the platters down to,
IIRC, well under a micron.  There are physical limits on the data we can cram
per square inch on a platter before we need to make the platters larger which
returns the cost back to the physical realm and not the technological.  IE,
you need to pay more for larger disks again because they will take more
material to produce.