HTML-ised email

Mike Kilroy pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:23:40 -0500 (EST)

We sell servos used in the machines to make hd's - yep, they keep
getting smaller and holding more. but it appears to me that the next
big jump will be in the laser technology of putting info in 3d rather
than 2d on CDs - University of Dayton is working with folks on this.
It seems this technology is about here, and that CDs are heading for
1000s or 10000s of times higher capacity, with access times in the
xxx nanoseconds range if you believe what the lab boys are saying.
and in the next yr or two at that.  whew!

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:33:43 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    Also, just to illustrate this point when it relates to disk space I wonder
>how many people who see these cheap HDs realize that IBM's last few
>breakthroughs in the HD technology is cramming bits onto the platters down to,
>IIRC, well under a micron.  There are physical limits on the data we can cram
>per square inch on a platter before we need to make the platters larger which
>returns the cost back to the physical realm and not the technological.  IE,
>you need to pay more for larger disks again because they will take more
>material to produce.

Mike, AC8V

              \\|//
           (  o . o  )