Mass storage capacities [Was Re: HTML-ised email]

Chris Adams pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:52:13 -0800

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:23:40 -0500 (EST), Mike Kilroy wrote:

>We sell servos used in the machines to make hd's - yep, they keep
>getting smaller and holding more. but it appears to me that the next
>big jump will be in the laser technology of putting info in 3d rather
>than 2d on CDs - University of Dayton is working with folks on this.
>It seems this technology is about here, and that CDs are heading for
>1000s or 10000s of times higher capacity, with access times in the
>xxx nanoseconds range if you believe what the lab boys are saying.
>and in the next yr or two at that.  whew!

There's an Israeli company that's been demoing a technology which does this - 140GB on a CD format and 10GB on a card (think PCMCIA). The very cool part is that they're talking about read transfer
rates in the GB/s range!