Wish List Another Beginning

Norm pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:32:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:19:00 -0500 (EST), Darin McBride wrote:

>>Yes, this has been a problem for me... if I'm away for a day, then download my
>>mail, it is very annoying to get 299 out of 300 messages, have my ISP hang up on
>>me for some reason, then have to download 300 messages again.  :(
>
>Given the format of SMTP commands, this should be done as "download 1,
>delete 1 ... download 2, delete 2 ..."  Not even "a few" but as it
>downloads them - immediately after that, delete them.  (They are simply
>*marked* for deletion until the connection is severed)

     But since the vast majority of users are using POP3 the problem is
with the way POP3 operates, and IIRC (albeit I'm no POP3 expert) POP3
will not delete any messages until the entire 'fetch' process has
completed successfully.

--
 ...Cheers,

 ...Norm

* Brought to you by OS/2 Warp v4.0 and PMMail *
* For a copy of my PGP key send me a message  *
* with "send pub_key" in the subject          *