good editor?

Heinz Mueller pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 08:49:14 +0200 (MSZ)

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999 19:25:14 -0700, Curtis Delzer wrote:

> I don't know if my message made it to the list yesterday or not, but I need
> some recommendations for good text editors to be used with PMMail98, other
> than notespad, wordpad, notepro.  I need one which will handle files larger
> than 64K, (hint hint) as an option to be added to PMMail, larger than 64K
> editing possibilities since often my Infobeat news files are too large to
> be loaded into PMMail's internal editor, I need to use an external one so
> need recommendations, ones which are keyboard intensive would be nice
> certainly.  Let me know why you use what you do, etc, and why you'd

VI, emacs :-)) Just kidding. I would suggest Visual Slick Edit, wich is
available
as GUI - Version (nad is expensive), or THE what's a VIO applicatiion,
but
FAST and incredible powerfull on base, and even more, of you are able
to code in
rexx, whats it's macro extension.
But no mouse pushing at all, what's a matter of fact for most really
powerfull software :-)
I'm not aware of any Size limits. Recently I sorted a 4 MB File in less
than 10 seconds, using THE.
Another nice feature is, that you cann call it from within a (rexx)
Batch, do some automatics with it (like formatting) and result in the
file, you want, without any keystroke, other than starting the batch.

For all who ever saw a IBM CMS on the Host (most will be too young),
it's an XEDIT clone, but has more power on the base.
For people using *nix, there is a X11 version available on nearly ever
*nix you might imagine :-)

> recommend it.  I know there are editors and editors for every occasion, so
> my asking might seem superfluous, but to me it is not, since I've tried
> some and need to try some more.  I've looked at the console ops like TSE32,
> and have tsepro for dos already registered, but that plays havock with my
> screen reader (I am a blind person) going from Windows back to dos, so I'd

I'm sure, that the Author of THE, Mark Hessling will be glad to help
you with
this issue ! He is really a nice guy :-))

Send E-Mail, if you need a contact.

His homepage is http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/

BTW: THE is totally free !!

yours

Heinz Mueller. webmaster@os2-oss.de
If you search OS/2 topics, have a look at www.os2-oss.de/search.html

 ** TagIt/2 v2.0 **

.. Hal 9000: "Dave, put those Windows disks down....Dave...DAVE!"
PGP Public Key Fingerprint= 7D73 EA2C 3CA4 9BBE 2120  C5F2 B9F7 6C4A 98ED D85C