Proper threading?

Achim Baehr pmmail-l@musthave.com
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 11:31:39 +0200 (CDT)

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:59:44 +0100, Dr. Martin R. Hadam wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Jun 1999 01:22:21 -0600 (MST), Doug McKibbin wrote:
>
>>I'm currently sorting by Subject, Date/Time of Message,
>>Date/Time Received.  I've tried various orders, but none
>>produces the accurate timeline of a thread.  If anyone
>>has this working, please share the secret.
>
> if you choose Date/Time of Message, you'll be dependent on the clock
>settings of the sender - if he's set it back one year, it will also be
>reflected in your thread. Hence Date/Time Received seems to create the
>most likely sequence of events.

have a look at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2372/dstswit=
ch.html
for some info about how to get the Zime-Zone variable properly set at le=
ast on your own PC. Unfortunately one
still depends on the proper setting of the RTC's of the other senders PC=
's, which quite often are not right...

> What I find MUCH more annoying is the influence of the "READ STATUS"
>property. I'd like to see all my new mail on top of the list for
>immediate access. Yet all the read ones and my own replies should sort
>*correctly* into the subject thread.
>
> Currently all the replied-to ones and my own replies are separated
>from the remainder of the (eventfree) subjects. To get proper threading=

>on subjects, currently I'm forced to scroll until I find yet another
>new message say ten or more screens down. That's a real pain.
>
> What is badly needed imo is a separate "read status - new on top only"=

>Priority property which only honors the "unread" attribute (and
>disregards the others).

to only honour the "unread" attribute there is the folder-setting "Read"=
-Status as first priority, Sort order
descending in the folder properties dialog.

What I prefer is setting the folder properties to show the "Read Status"=
 as third priority, with "Date & Time Of
Message" as second (or first), and "Subject" as first (or second), sort =
order "Descending". Then all new messages
of the same subject are on top, the read ones are not separated too far =
from the unread ones, easily distinguished
by the "unread" icon next to them in the list.

In this way the threading is not too bad, apart from the proper setting =
of the clock on the sender's PC.

Mit freundlichem Gru=DF / kind regards / Meilleures salutations

Achim B=E4hr

ABaehr@EPO.NL (office) or A.Baehr@T-online.de (home)