The Great "Hard Return" Debate

Alexander Sarras pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 22:27:45 +0100 (MEZ)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:19:32 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

> [...]
>
>     PMMail is a kick ass mail client.  It needs a lot of work, however, *ON
> THE MAIL CLIENT.*  Not the editor, not the spell checker, *just* the client.
> By insisting that the authors work on tasks which are computationally
> unrelated to the client, you're asking them to spend time really programming
> three things.  A mail client, a text editor and a spell checker.  As a result,
> as has been stated time and again, when you slap things together like that the
> end result is less than if you took the components and got the best you could
> for each.
>
>     PMMail is a good mail client.  It could be a lot better.  If it were it
> would be the best.
>
>     vim is a kick ass text editor.  *NO* mail editor will ever come up to the
> standard set by vim when it comes to editing mail.  Why?  Mail is text and vim
> excels at editing text.  That is all it does.  That is all it needs to do.
>
>     aspell is a kick ass spell checker.  *NO* mail editor will ever come up to
> the standard set by aspell when it comes to spell checking.  Why?  Spell
> checking is basically several very complex search and replace algorithms.
> aspell excels at it.  That is all it does.  That is all it needs to do.
>
>     So, there you are, kicking and screaming that PMMail's editor should have
> a decent reflow for quotes.  I'm sitting here, laughing.  PMMail does.  vim.
> When I use mutt, mutt has it.  vim.  When I use slrn, slrn has it.  vim.
>
>     And while other people are cursing PMMail's spell checker I'm sitting here
> laughing.  It has a good one.  aspell.  When I use mutt, mutt has it.  aspell.
> When I use slrn, slrn has one.  aspell.  When I just write poetry or stories,
> my editor there has it.  aspell.
>
>     Also, because vim has context highlighting for different programming
> languages it is a simple deal to have it use those facilities to have context
> highlighting for mail and news.
>
>     Now here is the important part, Ralph.  Say someone comes along with a
> kick ass email client that does everything I want.  It does multiple accounts
> perfectly, awesome filtering, IMAP/POP/SMTP all there, etc, etc, etc.  But...
> its editor sucks and it has no spell checking.  All I have to do is ask the
> author to program in a hook for an external editor which, I'm sure you agree,
> is much easier than programming a kick ass editor and a kick ass spell checker
> on top of a kick ass mail client, guess what.
>
>     It has a kick ass mail editor.  vim.  It has a kick ass spell checker.
> aspell.  I lose nothing.  Meanwhile, there you would be, kicking and
> screaming, trying to get him to implement those features all over again.
>
>     If you don't understand after that, nothing will get you to understand
> because you are too used to mediocrity in all things you do that you won't
> grasp this very basic and simple concept.  You'd rather fight each author for
> the same things over and over and OVER instead of being able to take it all

With all that ass-kicking, doesn't your butt start to hurt a little? How do
you sit down ;-> ?

I think it really wouldn't hurt anyone if PMMails internal editor would be
improved a lil' bit. Also the reflow at send option needs an overhaul.
Then, if there'd be a hook for an external spellchecker also, pgp-support
improved, and IMAP added, we _really_ could start some serious ass-kicking.
Currently you'D have to livelier than a one-legged guy at a butt-kicking
contest to get all perfectly done.

Sorry, couldn't resist (well, maybe I could, but didn't want to)
SaS
--
  Alexander.Sarras@ap.univie.ac.at  |     * Trouble * IS my middle name!