PMMail/2 and .vcf attachments

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:29:16 +0100 (BST)

>Simon, something strange:
>
>I reconstructed your vcf and emailed it to myself. It came through
>fine and I can open it with a double-click in the new message I sent
>myself.
Fine!

>However, every time I do, I get a brief pause during which my cable
>modem's send and receive lights do a little dance and then the vcf
>opens.
Hmmm, v.wierd!

>I've looked through the things included in the VCF and can't see any
>reason why yours would cause my computer to search for something on
>the 'net. I've never noticed other VCFs doing anything over the
>network, nor have I ever noticed this sort of delay when opening them
>before.

No I wouldn't have expected this either! The .vcf file started out
as being generated by pmmail, but I have edited by hand subsequently.
The only things I can *remember* changing was the correction of the
spelling of the word "Wiltshire" and the addition of by mobile phone
number.

I would try this (assuming OS/2):

1. Pick a time when not much is talking on the network, and type:
   iptrace <ENTER>

2. Then open up my .vcf attachment and wait for your modem lights
   to stop twinkling,

3. Interupt the iptrace (^C etc)

4. run ipformat to view thye output and see if you can workout
   what happened on the wire - you could email me the trace file
   produced and I can look at it if you like!

I'll try this myself and report back!

Simon