Changing subject lines on incoming messages

Zathras pmmail@rpglink.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:08:30 -0500 (CDT)

I have a program that does that kind of thing.  It's written in
REXX,
naturally.  I use it to get rid of the "[whatever]" prefixes in
mail and
change the "Re: Fwd: FW:" kinds of junk at the head of the subject
to whichever of them occurs first.  If you are interested, I'll
send
you a copy.  The usual caveats apply.

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 01:26:21 +0100 (BST), Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

>How can I change the subject line of an incoming message in PMMail?
>For example.... I want to change:
>  Subject: [something] this is it
>  Subject: this is it
>
>I have tried an incoming User hook (REXX Exit) filter... this appears
>to have worked when you "View full header" on the message, but in the
>account window, the subject is still as it originally was.
>My guess is that the index has already been updated with the old
>subject before the filter has processed it.
>
>(I tried a Re-index on the folder, but that apparently does nothing. If
>you delete the FOLDER.BAG file and then do Re-index then it does pick
>up the change as you'd expect. This sounds to me like there's a bug in
>Re-index, as I would expect it to regenerate the FOLDER.BAG file
>completely.)
>
>I haven't tried a Message Receive Rexx Exit, as I really only want to
>apply this to items which are filtered into a particular folder.
>
>Anyone got any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Paul

Dick Reeser
Logan, Iowa, USA

"Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants
to explain all;  and if it explain not, then it says
there is nothing to explain."
			-- Dr. Van Helsing