Order of Processing

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 14:16:58 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000 11:00:43 -0800 (PST), John M Price PhD wrote:

>PMMail/2 seems to me to be more than just a bit of a cycle hog.  Perhaps
>the programmers started out in Windoze?

I don't find PMMail/2 to be particularly cycle intensive, but I'm
running it on a PII-233 and a PIII-450 so that may have something to do
with it.  As far as I know, the first version of PMMail was the OS/2
version and I've found it to be pretty well threaded.

>That said, and with all its benefits, can someone tell me of what good
>it is to filter messages as they come in?  I see that routine as tying
>up the phone line for no good reason.

The filtering process - on my systems - is almost instantaneous so I
don't see any penalty with having mail automatically filtered as it is
downloaded.

>So, what detriment would harm the user if the messsages were downloaded,
>then processed, rather than processed one at a time?

The only detriment is that you would have to remember to filter your
messages after downloading them instead of having then automatically
filtered as they are being downloaded.

Perhaps you can provide some information about your system which might
help pinpoint why PMMail/2 is working slowly for your.

Thanks,
Ralph Cohen
rpcohen@neurotron.com