Corrupted Folder.BAG files in PMMail 2000 (Windows)

Michael Baum pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 07:57:15 -0500

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:39:23 -0800 (PST), Steve Wendt wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:18:50 -0500, Michael Baum wrote:
>
>>I'm sure there was a memo on this that I missed, but are other people
>>experiencing a problem with PMMail 2000 (Windows version) in which it every
>>so often spams the BAG file with two or more extra records pointing to the same
>>message? And is there a cure, as it gets old fast.
>
>Reindex the folder.  I've seen it occasionally on the OS/2 version, but only as a
>result of other problems (improper shutdown, etc.).

No, this happens in normal operations, and reindexing perpetuates the problem. I believe it's a bug in PMMail itself, not the OS.

It is associated with certain messages that have attachments, apparently due to an error in correctly reading and then storing in the BAG file the header tag fo
r the attachement portion of the message. A problem-causing example seems to be:

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF5BA2.9E89B91E
	name="Observation Form.doc"

Perhaps PMMail has trouble with the embedded line-break?

Michael Baum <michael.baum@nist.gov>
NIST Public & Business Affairs
(301) 975-2763