OT: MS Ignorance (was Re: Microsoft Virus)

Simon Bowring pmmail@rpglink.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:48:43 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:37:37 -0700 (PDT), Kelley Cook wrote:

>There are obviously a bunch of moron managers at Microsoft.  No
>self-respecting programmer would ever think that those were a good
>idea.

Part of the problem is that MS takes the vast majority of its
programmers from "kindergarten" and maintains them in an MS-only
culture so they are insulated from the rest of the computer
industry, rather than hiring experienced staff with experience
of other platforms and cultures. The result is that the bulk
of their programmers are immune from all the lessons learned
in the past or on other platforms - this is why they are always
"inventing" things that were actually invented 20 years ago.

The leaked MS "Halloween" report about linux demonstrated their
ignorance - they were "suprised" at what it could do, despite
it being basically a unix, much like all other unixes which
have a 30 year pedigree and are well understood by the inductry
at large.

Note that NT was largely developed by Dave Cutler (I think the name's
correct) and a group of his cronies that defected from DEC - his
group allegedly wouldn't let any "MS" programmers near the kernel
etc until it was "finished".

Simon