Re[4]: Life after PMMail

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:54:21 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:32:15 +0200, xavier caballe wrote:

>Unfortunately it does... specially when the message has some 'extended characters' (i.e., accentued characters). It's a bug
>present in all Windows PMMail versions. I reported it to both SouthSoft and Blueprint Software Works, but it has been never
>fixed, although finally it has been confirmed.

Are you 100% certain of this? I don't do the Windows tech support and
rarely use the Windows version of PMMail, but I am amazed to hear
this. Have you actually found the corresponding message on your hard
drive and confirmed that PMMail has "modified" the text in some way
after it left the POP server?

>The problem is that under some circumstances, that are quite usual for people that receives messages in other languages
>different to English, the words are joined and some characters are deleted. The result is the text is broken.

Again, is this the way the message is *displayed* by PMMail or the
way it is *saved* to disk? If it's the latter, there should still be
no problem sending the original text to a web browser.

>Yes, this is right... but there's another problem: I have a very big mailbox (some hundreds of messages)... so it's not as
>easy to find a message. On the other hand, I don't consider this a solution... just a workaround, and not very elegant by the
>way.

I can't comment on that. Every person will have a different opinion
on what is "required", what is "acceptable" and what is "wrong" in
any program. Personally, if email is formatted in HTML, I would
consider the ability to quickly view it in an HTML browser "correct".

>Yes, this is also possible in Windows... but, since the text is wrongly displayed by PMMail, there's no easy way to do that.

Yes, I see this is a problem. It's obvious that the Windows version
needs the OS/2 "send to web browser" option.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor

PGP Public Key Fingerprint= A68C C4EC C163 5C0A 6CFA  671F 05D4 0B30 318B AFD6