Questions for PMMail Tech Support

John Bridges pmmail@rpglink.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:34:09 -0700

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:24:39 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>But it's other mail clients default of sending HTML 4.0 that then makes
>HTML 2.0 rendering engines unable to display the email as intended.
>This can only work if there is a standard and it is adhered to,
>currently neither is the case. The only action that makes sense is to
>use a browser to render the HTML, but that will still be wrong!

We see many complaints on the list that HTML mail is not standard.

So I post the RFC for HTML mail, and it refers to the HTML 2.0 spec.

The response is "BUT OTHER MAILERS SOMETIMES USE LATER HTML OR EVEN NON
STANDARD FEATURES!!"

So they are out of spec, does that mean there is no RFC that describes HTML
mail? No. Just like HTML or Keribos (sp?) there is "Ebrace and Extend", or
whatever you want to call it.

If PMMail supported HTML Mail as described in the RFC (with attachments for
images, and HTML 2.0, and so on), we wouldn't be having this discussion.