NEWS FLASH!

I pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:02:27 -0700 (PDT)

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:16:53 -0700 (PDT), I wrote:
>
> >No, it depends on what the "functionality" is. PMMail also lacks the
> >ability to remotely start my car, which is a highly useful function, but
> >does not belong on an e-mail client.
>
> Funny, I thought that the logic of being able to read HTML email in an
> email client was just that -- logical.  Not being able to remotely
> start you car with PMMail, however is simply a matter of your
> inadequacy to the task.  Certainly the hardware and software are out
> there for you to accomplish it easily.  All you'd need would be a
> remote starting switch available from many automotive catalogs, and an
> X-10 type receiver setup to work on 12V.  Then, you write a filter for
> PMMail which, when it sees the message "Start the car", would trigger a
> REXX program to tell an X-10 transmitter to send a signal to the
> receiver in your car that would start the engine.  Really quite simple,
> when you think about it. <g>
>
> Of course, if PMMail lacked the complex filtering functionality that it
> has, then the task might indeed be impossible.  Not everyone needs
> PMMail to start their car, and not everyone needs PMMail to be able to
> read HTML email, but the program is made more functional by being able
> to do either one.

Yes, true, being able to read HTML e-mail, is by definition, more
functionality. But you have to draw the line somewhere.

Otherwise, the current reigning Ultimate e-Mail Client would be
StarOffice. What other "e-mail client" can read e-mail, do spreadsheets,
handle presentations, create OpenGL graphics, do wordprocessing, etc...
Oh, and is free too.

Isaac