NEWS FLASH!

Ralph Cohen pmmail@rpglink.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 15:49:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:59:17 -0700 (PDT), Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>>X-10 type receiver setup to work on 12V.  Then, you write a filter for
>>PMMail which, when it sees the message "Start the car", would trigger a
>>REXX program to tell an X-10 transmitter to send a signal to the
>>receiver in your car that would start the engine.  Really quite simple,
>>when you think about it. <g>

>Hmmmmmm. I thought you guys were debating hardcoding PMMail to read HTML.
>Isaac stated that PMMail could not start his car (within the argument of
>hardcoding) either and it was not appropriate for it to do so. You counter
>that some hardware, a Rexx program and filtering could accomplish it.

FYI, the "<g>" at the end of my remarks about the car starter is what
was used before the smiley faces, i.e. :-) that are now commonly used
to indicate a funny or facetious remark.  Back in ancient times in the
late 70's when I first started communicating on line via the Source,
the <g> "grin mark" or <VBG> "very big grin mark" were in common use.

My remarks about the car were intentionally facetious.  I really didn't
really think that it was that difficult for anyone to understand the
logic of having an email client being able to read HTML email, while
Larry's comment about the ability of an email client to be able to
start a car might be a bit less logical.  I mean, the same argument
could be used to say "Why do we need an email client to automatically
check for mail, since it doesn't even shovel my sidewalks when it
snows.

You're taking this much too seriousy.  Chill!<g>

Ralph

rpcohen@neurotron.com